- Is your life currently at a standstill?
- What steps are you going to take to move forward?
- How do you know you are taking the right steps?
There is a famous quote that says, ‘A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.’ The world has changed quite a lot over the last decade. There seem to be more tasks to carry out, which has led to the proliferation of Personal Digital Assistants (or PDAs) as we try to cram many tasks into a single day. The time management industry makes millions as they advise us on how to organise our lives to achieve maximum benefit.
In my opinion, the issue lies around the concept of short-term as opposed to long-term. We now live in a ‘microwave’ society that wants everything to have been done yesterday! Focusing on what really matters and taking the right steps to achieve it will eliminate a lot of clutter from our lives, and enable us complete the God-ordained tasks that have been assigned to us before the foundations of time.
How do we know the right steps to take? One answer lies in Jeremiah 10 verses 23 – 24:
I know, O Lord, that a man’s life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps. Correct me, Lord, but only with justice – not in your anger, less you reduce me to nothing.
Let us ask God to direct our steps and He will do so through the Holy Spirit, who has been appointed to be our Advisor and Counsellor and will provide a step by step solution.
Points to Ponder
- All our steps are ordered by God
- Commit all your decisions unto the Lord
- God will provide the wisdom to negotiate each step
©Insight for the Day 2016
- Are you satisfied with the life you have?
- What would you say is missing in your life?
- Who have you approached to meet this need?
I woke up today in one of those moods where you wish everything was in a certain way.
• I wish my wife was this or that;
• I wish the children were this or that;
• I wish my boss was this or that;
• I wish the church would do this or that;
• I wish I could afford this or that;
• I wish I could eat now;
• I wish the house was big, small, large, tidy etc
So much wishful thinking that it took watching a church service conducted by the The Potters House to snap me out of this ‘pity party’; truly a word at the right time. In this edition the speaker pointed out that in most cases – if we are true to ourselves – you will only achieve 80% satisfaction of what you really desire. The only one that can give you 100% is God and so we should seek him for everything.
He gave an example of wives always complaining about the 20% of what their husbands are not and forget to appreciate the remaining 80%. He further went on to point out that we should appreciate the 80% of all what we have and stop spending our energies trying to achieve the 20% to the detriment of losing the whole 100%. Some men leave their wives in search of the 20% and when they achieve the 20% elsewhere, they suddenly realise that they have the 20% but have lost the 80% they had earlier. A bit confusing – all these numbers but in reality that is the case. We should learn to appreciate what we have and God in his infinite wisdom will provide the rest.
- Only God can give us 100%
- In God we truly live, breathe and have our existence
- Trust in Him and all your needs will be met
©Insight for the Day 2016